No replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Cobb

Aaron Cobb

OKAirsoft Regular

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLawton, OK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

A while back I posted some pictures of my custom camo'ed rifles and had some inquiries as to how I painted them. Since I have a few minutes, I thought I'd share. First off, I highly recommend reading the main article I referenced when going about painting mine. It can be found here: http://www.ar15.com/...6&f=19&t=321800

The major difference between the above technique and mine is the base coat; for mine I chose not to paint the rifle with the lightest color and apply the others from lightest to darkest. My primary reason for this was so that I do not accidentally spray into any vital areas. Secondly, I wanted to make the process faster.

Step 1, select your paint colors.

Sponge Camo 01

Step 2, clean the surface of your rifle. I wiped it down with a dusting cloth then used alcholol to clean it further.    

Sponge Camo 02

Step 3, add a stripe or two of OD green. This helps break the base color up. Note, ensure that you do not spray paint in any vital areas such as your inner barrel or magwell.
Sponge Camo 03

Step 4, hold your can of spray paint a few inches above a surface you do not care about and that will not soak up the paint; here I used tile. Note, I found it best to hold the can about 15 degrees from horizontal. Now take your sponge and dab it into the paint.
Sponge Camo 04

Step 5, take your sponge dabbed in paint and dab the paint onto the rifle; making sure to press and lift straight down/up so that you don't smudge the dab on the rifle.
Sponge Camo 05

Step 6, repeat the dabbing process with the dark brown.
Sponge Camo 06

Step 7, repeat the dabbing process with the light tan.
Sponge Camo 07

Step 8, set the rifle aside to dry and admire your handiwork.
Sponge Camo 08

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Camo, DIY, Rifle, Sponge